Transmission Summit West – Oct 22-24, 2019
Executive Director Craig Lewis participated in an expert panel at this event, which took place October 22-24, 2019 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Executive Director Craig Lewis participated in the panels “Optimizing Renewables Integration Processes” and “Impacts and Opportunities of Extending the Day-Ahead Market to Energy Imbalance Market” at Transmission Summit West, which took place October 22-24, 2019 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Attendees heard about the sweeping transmission upgrades, planning efforts, and expansion initiatives taking place to integrate renewables in the west.
Transmission Summit West 2019 brought together regulators, utilities, and transmission experts to explore new approaches to regional coordination, examine the emerging business models that will enable needed investments, and answer the key questions that will govern future transmission development:
- How much investment in new transmission lines, storage and other technologies is necessary to realize state goals?
- What demands will EIM expansion into day-ahead markets make on transmission, and are there lessons to be learned from how SPP integrates renewables?
- What’s the status of transmission projects aimed at connecting remote renewables to load centers?
- How will revised IRP processes impact transmission planning?
- What impacts will the threat of wildfires and other climate events have on system hardening, technology deployment and transmission operations?