California Clean Energy Procurement Summit – 27-28 April 2022
The Clean Coalition's Executive Director, Craig Lewis, moderated at this conference, which took place 27-28 April 2022.
The Clean Coalition was a partner organization for the California Clean Energy Procurement Summit, which took place in San Francisco, CA on 27-28 April 2022.
During this event, the Clean Coalition’s Executive Director, Craig Lewis moderated the Microgrid Opportunities panel on 28 April 2022 from 11am-12pm.
Click here for more information
The proliferation of PSPSs and the realization that this could be the “new normal” in California for the foreseeable future has drastically increased interest in deploying local solar + storage and microgrid projects. However, it is unclear now what entities are best suited to procure these systems, as well as whether it makes more sense to deploy small, front of the meter systems or more traditional rooftop solar plus BTM storage units that have proliferated in California over the past few years. On the positive end, passage of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal paves the way for a range of new funding opportunities for microgrids, creating buzz around exactly how much money microgrids in California will be eligible for — and how to secure it panel will explore:
- How are energy storage microgrid projects helping CA to address expected capacity shortfalls
over the next two summers?
- What’s the role of local solar + storage projects?
- Is this an effective model for grid hardening?
- What are the advantages of small front of the meter solar + storage that can be used as a
centralized source of power?
- Who will do the procurement of these systems—CCAs, IOUs or other parties?
- Is this a model that can serve the local community?
- What mechanisms are needed to incentivize and monetize these sorts of projects?